Dr. Axe recently wrote an amazing article on his 10 ways to balance hormones naturally and I highly suggest giving it a read. Along with following his suggestions I would love to add in mankind’s first medicine’s (essential oils) to support his list.
A couple of things I would like to highlight from his article is that estrogen and insulin are chemical messengers that something is off without hormones. This in turn causes a mess in our body with infertility, weight gain, depression, fatigue, insomnia, low libido, hair loss and hair thinning because the organs and glands affected are: thyroid, adrenals, pituitary, ovaries, testicles, and pancreas. If you’re wondering what’s going on with any one of those issues taking a good look at your hormone levels and making some simple changes (yes all these suggestions are simple) to your lifestyle and diet.
Going the route of synthetic hormonal replacement are known to cause more havoc in our body than what they are designed to accomplish.
- Synthetics are designed to create dependency where essential oils support the body and over time use less.
- Synthetics mask the symptom while essential oils may support your body in a way that utilized your own body to create more balance and harmony with your hormones.
- Synthetics are known to have their own list of side effects and are likely to increase your risk of stroke, osteoporosis, and cancer, while essential oils do no.
Adding to the following list of oils to support your hormones I would like to encourage all women to consider supporting your female organs with more love and attention instead of shutting it down during years when not trying to conceive. Midwife Stephanie Fritz LM, CPM wrote a wonderful book Essential Oils for Pregnancy, Birth, and Babies and I suggest checking it out. If you are experiencing tough menstrual cycle I suggest the infertility
- Coconut oil – a fantastic carrier oil when using essential oils over a large area or when applying hot oils like oregano, clove, and cinnamon.
- Adaptogen herbs – according to Dr. Axe are a unique class of herbs supporting balance, restore, and protect the body. For essential oils I would highly suggest the Aroma Touch Technique! The technique was created to combat four systemic constants: stress, toxic insult, inflammation, and autonomic imbalance.
- Omega Balance – I highly recommend taking the Lifelong Vitality Supplements by doTERRA. The Omega is offered in both vegan and non-vegan options. The trio pack of Lifelong Vitality Vitamins covers Cellular Vitality, Omegas, and Food Nutrient with each of them including essential oils.
- Leaky Gut – Essential oils are very supportive for repairing a leaky gut. doTERRA has designed an entire line around digestion with even a complete Cleanse and Restore Enrollment Kit and I highly recommend it for anyone starting out on the oils. This kit includes the LLV (LIfelong Vitality Pack), Lemon Essential Oil, GX Assist, PB Assist, TerraZyme, and Zendocrine. Other digestive products include DigestZen Oil blend or softgels, and many single oils.
- Elimination of toxic kitchen and body care products – doTERRA’s protective blend OnGuard has been formulated into many household items like toothpaste, laundry detergent, foaming handwash, protecting throat drops, and a concentrated cleaner. Don’t forget about beauty care essentials like shampoo, conditioner, bath bars, and facial cleansing lines used by top estheticians.
- Exercise – a complete line of greens, shakes, oil blends and supplements designed to boost energy and support healthy blood sugar levels.
- Sleep – Yes, I can help you here too. Lavender, Cedar wood, Serenity blend, Roman Chamomile, and Marjoram. Also cutting down on the next one will greatly support a full nights rest.
- Cutting down on Caffeine – That’s right! Simply switching from coffee to Macha green tea will be much kinder on your adrenals and when our body isn’t over taxed we are able to process and flush our system better.
- Vitamin D3 – okay, there isn’t a specific essential oil to take the place of the sun, sorry. However, the Food Nutrient supplement in the Lifelong Vitality Pack Vitamins has 800 IU of Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol). For more reading on Vitamin D, Powerful Medicine: Vitamin D
- Back off the birth control – scientific studies have show how damaging taking birth control pills are for your body. However, if you are one of the many women and girls still taking birth control might I suggest supporting your breasts, gallbladder, emotions, weight gain, and high blood pressure with the use of essential oils.